MBBS, FRACS, FRANZCO
Sophisticated technology needs expert skills and Dr Phillip McGeorge is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced eye surgeons. Dr McGeorge is internationally recognised and is regularly asked to speak on various topics and present his own results at national and world eye surgery conferences.Dr McGeorge has been an ophthalmic surgeon for over 20 years and has been a pioneer in laser refractive eye surgery since it began in Western Australia in 1992.Following his medical education at the University of Western Australia, and medical and surgical residency in Perth hospitals, Dr McGeorge discovered a passion for surgery of the eye. He undertook his specialty training at Royal Perth Hospital. Dr McGeorge became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists in 1991.
During his career in ophthalmic surgery Dr McGeorge has played a leading role in introducing and refining techniques in cataract and refractive surgery in Australia. Dr McGeorge’s achievements include:
- Commenced small incision phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many other Western Australian eye surgeons this procedure. Today it is the procedure of choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Now the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons.
- Some years ago Dr McGeorge pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery which is now the normal technique.
- One of the first surgeons in Western Australia to perform LASIK and wavefront guided laser eye surgery.
- Dr McGeorge has been working in the refractive field since its inception and has lectured in Australia and internationally. He was a founding member and director of the Perth Laser Vision.
- Dr McGeorge has been an office bearer with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists.
- Dr McGeorge was a foundation member of The Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons.
- He is a member of the International Society of Refractive Surgeons, the American and European Societies of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- In 1991, he founded Murdoch Eye Centre, a multidisciplinary eye specialist centre, where he has been medical director since.
Dr Tze Lai
BMedSc, MBBS(Hons), MPHC – Masters degree in Ophthalmology public health and primary community care, FRANZCO, AUSCRS, ANZGIG
She has worked as a consultant Ophthalmologist at Royal Perth Hospital and Fremantle Hospital in Western Australia,and operates at St John of God Hospital Murdoch, Bentley Hospital and Armadale Hospital.
Graduated from Medical School with Honours
- Dean’s Roll of Excellence
- Undergraduate Fellowship Prize Exams for Ophthalmology, Surgery and Orthopaedics
- Awarded the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO) Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship for advanced surgical fellowship in North America.
- Lectures, Surgery demonstrations and Teaching of cataract Phacoemulsification surgery and Glaucoma surgery to Ophtahalmic surgeons trainees and medical students in WA and Canada
- Screening Trips to Broome, Canarvon and Kimberleys through the WA Lions Save Sight program
- Visits to Birmingham & Midlands Eye Centre, UK and Wills Eye Institute, USA
- Undergradute Ophthalmology Examiner
- Has published many Ophthalmology articles in peer-reviewed journals and co-authored an Ophthalmology book chapter and presented them at a number of international and national scientific meetings,including Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) and Canadian Ophthalmological Society (COS) annual scientific congresses
- Reviewer for peer-reviewed scientific journals in Australia.